Saturday, July 17, 2010

Preparing For Winter in July

A Hell of A Place To Run Out of Gas

Crossing a Creek heading out of the forest with a load


Cut it, load it, stack it, split it, re-stack it, burn it.



Back in TN when I wanted a warm apt., I simply raise the thermostat setting on the wall, Presto, I'm done! (I could do it with just one finger). Not so at my place in MT. The only source of heat is the wood burning stove. It will take 5 to 6 cords (1 cord = 8'x4'x4') to get through the winter. I've got my work cut out for me . My only helper is my trusty Toyota pick-up. At 206K miles, it's still puttin' along. After I cut all the wood I'm gonna need, I'll rent a log splitter. Well, brake is over, back to work.





click on picture


I don't know why, but I'm in the mood for a Big Mac




1 comment:

  1. Great Pics George! Cutting and splitting that firewood surely must work up an appetite. Maybe it'll take two big macs! And your old Toyota pickup amazes me. You should tell Toyota about it, maybe they'd put you in an ad.

    That's true about the thermostats in TN. Ours have been keeping us cool in a July heat wave. But it is a bitch when something goes wrong. Our system went out in mid July and we had to sleep a night with no air. Very unpleasant. It reminded me of my adolescence in Nashville. We had no AC; we didn't even have a window fan until I was maybe 13 or 14. It was hot and humid but I suppose we were more acclimatized to it in those days.

    ReplyDelete